Thursday, February 15, 2018

Teal Tie-Neck Shirt

I saw a knit shirt with an off-center bow at the neckline last summer, and loved it. So, when I had a little time last fall, I decided to make one of my own!

  I used my knit block, but removed some width from the side seams, partly because that block was designed for a cotton knit, and this is rayon, and partly because I'm a little bit smaller than I was when I made the block. 

  I marked my usual neckband width and height in the center of my fabric, then widened from there out to the edges of the fabric for the tie. I sewed the tails of the tie up to the marked points, then clipped to the stitching and turned it right side out. Then I sewed the neckband portion on as usual, being careful to keep the tails out of the way. I love the way it turned out!

  I used a rayon spandex from Sincerely Rylee for this one- it's pilled up quite a bit with wear, but otherwise worked well. I wanted the bow to drape softly, and the rayon is perfect for that.

  I love the color of this fabric too! The closest thread match I could find was slightly more blue than the fabric, but it's close enough not to be noticeable, even with the lettuce-edged sleeves and hem.

  I'm really happy with how this one turned out, and I want to make another at some point!

Thanks for stopping by,

4 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with that color! I made a v-neck with a tie like that, but the way it was attached it pulled in the center and left a little hole. I like your way much better! And it's such a delicate tie it doesn't look like it's even remotely annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I don't see this color in fabric nearly often enough! Was that the Jalie one you made? Mine does dip down near the tie after a few hours of wear, but it's not uncomfortable or annoying. Thank you! =)

      Delete
  2. Very pretty! I love off center ties like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love how simple it is, but it's not plain. =)

      Delete